Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Death of a Thousand Cuts

Of the many inconsistencies in religion, there were a few that caught my attention early on. I think of them as stepping stones along the path to reason and skepticism. I would like to explore one of them now. During countless sermons, Sunday school lectures, and readings of the Bible, I was taught that homosexuality was a terrible sin. I accepted this without question for a long time. At some point I applied the same dispassionate logic to this idea as I do to any concept. It goes something like this:

Fact:
1. Sexual orientation is not a matter of conscious choice
2. Homosexual orientation is sinful according to the bible

Assume:
1. God is all-knowing (We'll call this the god hypothesis)

Thus one of the following must be true:
1. God exists
1a. The bible doesn't represent god's feelings on the matter, or
1b. God is a real jerk
or, more likely:
2. god does not exist

Now, I wasn't so supremely brainwashed that I imagined anything along the lines of the "all gay people want to convert your young and eat babies" type of nonsense. I am embarrassed to admit that I was a little taken aback that the GLBT folks I met were just like me in pretty much every way. And that embarrassment was instantaneous. Up to that point I thought I was a pretty liberal guy, it was shocking to me that I would have such a ridiculous notion in my mind. Well, maybe I was a little brainwashed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to thank you for setting up this site and voicing your concerns. I know it can be extremely hard to hold divergent beliefs about God and doctrine coming from an Orthodox religion. I'm sure that there are many Coptics out there who share your concerns and appreciate your honesty! Looking forward to reading more.