Sunday, January 27, 2008

About me...

So I have gotten some less-than-polite email recently about my knowledge of the coptic church. Basically accusing me of rejecting something I don't fully understand. So I thought it might be interesting to those (very few) of you who read this thing to find out a few things about your friendly neighborhood atheist. Well, I was involved in the church since I was very young. By "very young" I mean about 5. I went to every mass, vespers, tasbeha, whatever, that I could (note, if you're not actually involved in the coptic church, some of the jargon in this post might be unfamiliar, sorry!). I was ordained as a "reader" or ognostos at about the age of 14. I taught hymns to several grade levels, including other teachers. I read voraciously about the history of the church and the lives of the saints. I lamented that I didn't have the time to become a Sunday school teacher. I read the bible from cover to cover quite a few times. Coptic christianity was my life, my lifestyle, my everything. The thought of my sin brought me to tears. The sacraments were a true comfort. I was a true believer. And now I'm not. And I'm quite content.

atheos

(ps The rest of you should feel free to continue emailing me. Just be patient, I check it as often as I update this blog)

pps. Let me preempt some questions now: Yes I know this post doesn't explain why I'm an atheist. Yes I realize some people find that annoying. I'm writing that post but I'm a busy dude...

2 comments:

Koptikjihad said...

You're not alone out there.

Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon this blog on the internet, but from a deliberate search. Would love to converse with you. Not sure how to do that and maintain anonymity. Also not sure if you'll even see this! Anyway, I'm in the same boat and also "content" -- very very content.