Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sad news, but a silver lining

Hey there, sorry about the dearth of posting lately, I've been crazy busy. That's why they invented blackberrys. And coffee breaks. Don't tell anyone... Enjoy!

A new study demonstrated a negative correlation between spirituality and performance in law school.

Which means that people who identified as religious tended to do worse than those who didn't. And it was more predictive of a bad law student than either low LSATS or low undergrad GPA.

Not having read the actual thing I couldn't comment as to validity. That aside, it's an interesting topic. I've always wondered what kind of people (personality types, etc) "make it" in different fields. I'd like to see some studies on med students.

Another study has found that frankincense smoke "
activates poorly understood ion channels in the brain to alleviate anxiety or depression".

Wow, another whole reason religious people are so happy. It also explains the pleasant smile on that incense dude at the mall. Ok, maybe he's just stoned.

So basically all you copts inhaling the shoria (censer) every week are getting a free dose of prosac, sweet! (OK, in reality they did the study with an isolate of a chemical in the resin. And they did it on mice. Must I always let science stand in the way of a good joke?)

So in short, if you're really religious you will flunk out of law school. But at least you'll be happy

Take care
atheos

3 comments:

Koptikjihad said...

Then I guess my GPA should be a 4.0!

Emo said...

Interesting post...I'm a religious Coptic Law Student, somewhere towards the middle of my class...I guess I can blame not being on law review on God. Haven't met any Copt atheists before and just happened upon this blog...Clearly your a smart kid, I would enjoy debating you on your new found atheism...

Atheos said...

Hi Emo, thanks for posting,

I think all my copt lawyer friends are off the hook, studies like that are always open to confounding factors. That aside, it made for a funny joke, and clearly upped Koptikjihad's ego. Feel free to email me any time. But don't use the word debate! Don't you know lawyers scare doctors ;-)

atheos