Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thoughts?

I received a question via email, and I don't have a good answer. So I'll post it here, maybe one of you will be able to add something.

The sender wants to know if there is a group, in whatever form, of Copts turned atheist.

My gut feeling is "no" because the title of this blog came from me googling "coptic atheist" to try and find someone like me. After dealing with that for a while, I started blogging. Anyway, if you have any other ideas, post in the comments.

atheos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh lastly I found after googling a Coptic Atheist, I'm Coptic atheist too, but still living in the shit called Egypt.
Don't forget our site www.el7ad.com
Have a nice day

Anonymous said...

Coptic Atheist,

You're not the only one. The fact is, there are likely to be many who simply don't declare themselves.

Having been a Coptic Atheist for at least 16 years myself, it's nice to see someone in the younger generation use this nifty blogging thing to bring the idea to the forefront. Egyptians have a long history of humanist, secular, rational, and empirical thinking for millenia. The type of thinking that actually led to the peaceful progress of mankind as species.

But of course, Egyptians have also been known for some fanastical mythical thinking that has led to isolation, violence, warfare, and stagnation.

Let's hope the former prevails.